Grades, A&R Forms, Policies


Pass/No Pass grading option information
How do I retake a course?
What is a "W" (Withdrawal) grade?
What is a "I" (Incomplete) grade?
What does "IP" (In Progress) mean?
How does grading work for credit courses?
How does grading work for non-credit courses?
I have a complaint about my grade.


Information on Excused Withdrawals

Excused Withdrawal (EW) occurs when a student is permitted to withdraw from a course(s) due to specific events beyond the control of the student affecting the ability to complete a course(s)

The specific events may include:
  • A job transfer outside of the geographical region.
  • An illness in the family where the student is the primary caregiver.
  • When the student who is incarcerated in a California state prison or county jail is released from custody or involuntarily transferred before the end of the term.**
  • When the student is the subject of an immigration action.
  • Verified cases of accidents, illnesses or other circumstances beyond the control of the student making course completion impracticable.

Upon verification of these conditions and consistent with submitted documentation substantiating the condition, an excused withdrawal symbol may be assigned at any time after the period established by the governing board during which no notation is made for withdrawals. The withdrawal symbol so assigned shall be an “EW.”

  • Excused withdrawal shall not be counted in progress probation and dismissal calculations.
  • Excused withdrawal shall not be counted toward the permitted number of withdrawals or counted as an enrollment attempt.
  • Excused withdrawals will not create a refund for the course(s).

Could there be any consequences to dropping classes with an excused withdrawal "EW?"

Students need to speak with the appropriate departments to understand their individual circumstances concerning degree completion, transfer to a 4 year college, athletic eligibility, financial aid implications (such as being required to pay back money received through financial aid awards), and other implications not listed. Please contact the appropriate departments with questions prior to submitting your request. Once your petition is reviewed, the action is final and cannot be reversed.


To request a petition for an "EW", have questions or are looking for a status update. please email  with the subject: Petition for an Excused Withdrawal 
FAQ for Excused Withdrawals

A&R Forms

The GWC Admissions and Records Office are in the process of converting PDF forms to utilizing electronic forms for submitting requests. This will allow students to complete and submit forms securely.

Each form has a concise description to provide the objective of the form. If it is still a PDF form, there is an email address in the depiction to submitted it to. Most of the electronic forms will require an active GWC account.

If you have not attended GWC for one year or more, complete your request by reaching out to the contact person for that department.

The electronic forms will ask you to log in with your GWC username and password. You will be able to upload attachments directly on the form.

Depending on how forms are configured, you will also be able to get updates as the form progresses from submission, to review, to completion.

Instructions to Submit New Electronic Forms:

  • Click on the form link.
  • Enter your GWC username and password.
  • Complete and submit the form.

*Forms time-out after 45 minutes.

If you cannot complete it, and the form has been enabled to save your progress, click the “Save Progress” button at the bottom of the page. You can return to it later.

* To review forms, you have submitted in the past, click on “Forms History.” Then click on the icon for PDF or for the HTML view.

Forms are organized by category within the sections below:

Application, Registration, & Grades
Contacts For Forms


Student Responsibility and Communications
Repetition Policy
Academic Honesty Policy
Probation Policy
Academic Disqualification Policy
Academic Renewal Policy and Procedure
Virtual Advisor