Continuing and Returning Students

Chat with us

(714) 892-7711 ext. 58119

On-Campus & Virtual Hours:
Mon – Fri: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm PST

Sat: Hours vary by appointment

Closed Weekends and Holidays


If you have registered for at least one class in the past school year at Golden West, Coastline or Orange Coast College, you are considered a Continuing Student. Continuing Students DO NOT need to re-apply for admission.

We encourage all students to:

  1. Meet regularly with a Counselor to:
    • Develop/Review/Update their Student Education Plan (SEP) and discuss their academic/career goals
    • Explore transfer options and requirements
    • Confirm graduation dates and transfer application deadlines
  2. Check your eligibility for Priority Registration/View your Registration Date

  3. Register for classes


Dual or Concurrent Enrollment Students who will be graduating from High School and wish to continue their education at Golden West College will need to re-apply as a First-time Student in College. After your application has processed and you receive the GWC Welcome Email, begin the steps for New Student Registration.

If you are a continuing high school student, you will need to submit permission forms each semester. Please go to Dual & Concurrent Enrollment Students for more information.


If it has been over a year since you last registered for a course at Golden West, Coastline or Orange Coast College, you are considered a Returning Student and DO need to re-apply to the college.

If you have attended Golden West College and are coming back to take classes, welcome back!  There are some things you may need to do before you register.

  1. Apply to the college – Your account will not be active and as a result
    • Counselors will not have immediate access to your past classes and grades.
    • Counselors will not be able to update your Major/Program of Study in DegreeWorks.
    • You will not have a registration date/time.
    • You will not have access to your Financial Aid file.
  2. Speak with a Counselor
    • Review/Evaluate transcripts, English/Math scores.
    • Discuss your academic/career goals and create your Student Education Plan (SEP).
    • If you have taken classes at other colleges, please have an unofficial transcript to share with the Counselor.
  3. Order Official Transcripts
    • If you have completed coursework at another college/university before returning to Golden West, you will need to have your official transcripts sent to GWC to be added to your records here.
  4. Apply for Financial Aid

Priority Registration

Priority Registration allows students to register earlier, ensuring they get the classes they need, and complete their requirements in a timely manner.

Check your eligibility for Priority Registration/View your Registration Date:

  • Log in to your MyGWC portal
  • Click on the Registration tab
  • Under Priority Registration click "View My Eligibility"
  • Make sure to complete all items to ensure you receive a Priority Registration date

Your date and time to register should appear under "Next Registration Appointment" once it has been assigned.

Your registration is the earliest possible date and time that you can register online for a given semester. You can register from any computer with Internet Access; it is NOT a physical appointment.

Student Education Plan (SEP)

All students are recommended to work with a Counselor to develop their Student Education Plan (SEP). An SEP is a Counselor-approved semester-by-semester list of the courses a student needs to achieve their academic/career goals. Students can find their SEP within DegreeWorks.

If you do not have a current SEP on file or would like to work with a Counselor to revise/update your plan (including changing your major) please connect with Counseling.


DegreeWorks provides an accessible, convenient, and organized way for students to view their Student Education Plan (SEP) and track their academic progress. DegreeWorks can be accessed through the MyGWC portal.

  • Students can use the WORKSHEET to track which General Education and Major requirements have been completed, are in progress, or still have yet to be satisfied.
  • Students will also find a link to PLANS, which is their personalized Student Education Plan (SEP).

Counseling Services are offered in the following ways:

Drop-In Same Day Services
Connect with our counselors for immediate support through on-campus, phone, or Zoom meetings. Counselors are generally available from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. PST, though hours may vary. Please contact us in advance to verify availability and to receive assistance connecting with a counselor at 714-895-8119 ext. 1 or Chat With Us.

Contact a Counselor by Email
Counselors are available to answer quick questions by via E-Counseling. Emails will be returned within 2-3 business days.

Schedule a Counseling Appointment
Counseling appointments are available during the Fall and Spring Semesters, including the option for Saturday appointments. During Winter Intersession and Summer, Counselors are available via Drop-In. For assistance connecting with a Counselor, please call 714-895-8119 ext. 1 or Chat With Us.